Friday, October 29, 2010

Asia Duegray

Briefly: I'll say: there are three characters. Dr. Sam Hadley, who will go by Dr. Hadley sometimes and Sam Hadley sometimes and probably Sam sometimes. Next is Asia Duegray, she is a "resident" in the facility. Finally, we have David Felms. He's documenting the facility, its residents (Asia) and world reactions....

The scene begins with Sam and David walking down a sterile looking hallway. Everyone knows what it looks like if they think about it. It's a government testing facility...so. White bricks, white tiles...possible with forest green speckles in them. Or ebony. White lights. Gridded windows in resident doors. Labs. Cafeterias that match the color scheme of the floors. A combination of prison and school and your dentist's office....with the occasional surgery room. Visitor areas...no gift shops. Lots of people walking around with clip boards and blood samples and individuals dressed in jumpsuits with their heads hanging down.

They are heading to Asia's room.

Sam: We have a new resident. Got here two, three hours ago? Her name is Asia.
David: It would be perfect to follow here--start at the beginning. Can I see her?
Sam: We can go to her room. I have to break her in on everything. But don't bring all the bells and whistles. She's already in an overwhelming situation.
David: No. I'll just follow you with a hand camera.
Sam: She's down in the 200's I think. Martha! How's Kate doing? We pushed her kind of hard today.
Martha: She's fine. I couldn't get her to say much this afternoon. It's her son's birthday. I think that's what's making her upset.
Sam: I'll swing by later and see if there's something I can do. Thanks Martha.
David: Why the couple hours isolation at the very first?
Sam: Why have we left her alone for two hours?
David: Yeah.
Sam: Because she'll have been in a state that she wouldn't want anyone to see. It's a dignity thing. We try to keep that intact as much as possible. It's easier with kids. Hardest with adults. She falls somewhere in between...okay...206 is right. Where is my paper? Ah--okay. Forgot what they set as the code. Usually companions or maybe the wing doctor are the only ones to memorize this. We have each code recorded just in case something were to happen...anyways, a lot of people will know hers. 
David: She powerful?
Sam: We can't even measure how much yet.

***David opens the door at a 40 degree angle and the two slide into the small bedroom. The only furniture in the room is a bed, an easy chair underneath a barred window, a small set of shelves, and a card table close to the bed. They find Asia in the far right corner of the room, rocking, head buried in her knees. 

Sam: So this is your room, huh? You got a window. You're lucky.
Asia: stops rocking but doesn't lift head up.
Sam: I'm Dr. Hadley. I'm sure Max or Suki mentioned me. I supervise this facility. Do you know where you are, Asia?
Asia:
Sam: You're in New Jersey.
Asia: I'm where?
Sam: New Jersey.
Asia (stunned): How long was I out?
Sam: About two days. How are you feeling? Are you hungry, thirsty?
Asia: No.
Sam: You've been unconscious for forty eight hours. Are you sure?
Asia: I don't want anything.
Sam: I'd feel better if you came with David and I to eat something.
Asia: What is he doing?
David: Documenting. This is where they keep all the big wigs, so they sent me here to cover it.
Sam: Are you sure you won't even take a glass of water sweetheart?
Asia: I can't.
Sam: It looks like you've been down there for a while. Are you ready to get up? Let's at least get you in the chair...
Asia: Don't touch me!
Sam: It's okay, Asia. You don't need to be afraid of anyone here. This is a safe place for you. Let's just get you up...that's right, you're fine. What's all this shaky business? You're fine. It's been a hard couple of days huh? Getting  here is the hardest part, I promise..."
David turns camera off.
Sam: There we go. Is the chair comfortable? We wanted all of them to be comfortable. As a matter of fact, that's what I came here to talk about for a few minutes--your comfort is very important. You know why you are here. To be contained, yes...even studied. Beyond that you are here to be taken care of...


The end for now. There's a lot more in my head plus on paper.

3 comments:

  1. Government testing facility eh? I likey. A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I already described my characters in the scene and I think the basic motivations can be implied if I add this little tidbit: magical people, existent throughout history, have been causing all sorts of fury and hell and now have been found out...and now have to be controlled. However maybe six or maybe twelve of all those have actually intentionally done harm...and BIG harm...all sorts of moral dilemmas ensue from this and people are sad, scared, power hungry, vengeful, uncomfortable, angry and in pain because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could make it better by making it better.
    I mean what I said. I could make it all the way and then take it all the way to the end.

    ReplyDelete